Friday, February 15, 2008

Mr. Popper's Penguin's by Richard and Florence Atwater

1939 Newbery Honor
Finished 12-13-06

When Mr. Popper, a dedicated Polar expedition fanatic, tunes in to the broadcast of the Drake Antarctic Expedition, he gets the surprise of his life.

“’That’s nothing,’ said Mrs. Popper. ‘Just a lot of men at the bottom of the world saying “Hello, Mamma. Hello, Papa.”’

‘Sh!’ commanded Mr. Popper, laying his ear close to the radio.

There was a buzz, and then suddenly, from the South Pole, a faint voice floated out into the Popper living room.


‘This is Admiral Drake speaking. Hello, Mamma. Hello, Papa. Hello, Mr. Popper.’

‘Gracious goodness,’ exclaimed Mrs. Popper. ‘Did he say “Papa” or “Popper”?’

‘Hello, Mr. Popper, up there in Stillwater. Thanks for your nice letter about the pictures of our last expedition. Watch for an answer. But not by letter, Mr. Popper. Watch for a surprise. Signing off. Signing off.’”

After this mysterious message, Mr. Popper can hardly wait to see what the surprise could be. And one day a package arrives. It is covered with warnings, like “Unpack at Once” and “Keep Cool”, and it has holes punched in it. And lo and behold, when Mr. Popper unpacks it, he discovers a penguin inside! Thus is the beginning of a wonderful adventure for the Popper family.

This book is a wacky, fun ride. The authors don’t in any way attempt to make the book believable, and in a way, that’s the best part of it. The reader is asked to sit back for a few hours, suspend practicality, and travel along with Mr. Popper and his penguins (notice the plurality of the word) on a wild adventure.

There are plenty of laughs along the way. Mr. Popper’s mischievous penguins interrupt a diva in the middle of her operatic concert, cause havoc on a train by giving in to the temptation to climb the porters’ ladders, and come close to getting into a fight with half-a-dozen seals.

An engaging and amusing book for anyone who’s willing to give it a try.

5 comments:

Kiersten White said...

This was my favorite book for years in elementary school! Oh, now I have to go find it again. Thanks!

Kiersten White said...

Also, awesome project! What a great goal. I tend to pick things at random from the library, and it's miss more often than hit. Although I will admit that some Newberry winners leave me underwhelmed. I'll definitely check back here!

Anonymous said...

Someone else just recommended this book to me and I just put it on my TBR list a couple of weeks ago. I look forward to reading it!

Nikki in Niagara said...

I read this to my son last month and we also enjoyed it. This is a great project you are doing. I am working my way through the Newbery Medals at the moment but reading the honors as I find them. I look forward to more of your reviews!

sweetpotato said...

Maw books: I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this one. It was a really fun read.

Nicola: I'll definitely check out your blog. I love reading other's takes on the Newbery books.