Friday, January 11, 2008

On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder

1938 Newbery Honor
Finished 12-5-06

It is the Ingalls family’s first year in Minnesota—a fresh, new start. They are hoping for a good wheat crop, but instead, grasshoppers come and eat every green thing in sight. And the next year, a whole new batch of grasshoppers hatch. How will the Ingalls survive if the grasshoppers keep eating all their crops?

The nature of this book is that it has a rather ordinary, everyday sort of feel to it. Because of that, it was a little difficult to get into, but once I did and became attached to the characters, it was a very good read.

There are 5 books more books by Laura Ingalls Wilder on the Newbery list, so I plan to keep each review pretty brief. But if you’re interested in reading the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, I would recommend that you start with Little House on the Prairie. Each book can stand alone, but they read better as a whole.

1 comment:

Kara Dekker said...

I just finished reading this book aloud. It was very good read the normal way--and even better read aloud. Somehow the process of reading aloud allows me to concentrate on Wilder's style better. She makes her childhood come alive for me, years later.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Happy reading! What an ambitious goal, reading all the Newberys. I've only read 16, myself. (not counting honors)